Monday, October 24, 2022

Nightbitch by Rachel Yoder

Nightbitch by Rachel Yoder
⭐⭐⭐⭐

In Nightbitch, we meet an unnamed woman whose life is thrown upside down when she awakens to discover that she is seemingly morphing into a dog. As the transformation takes place, we witness her struggle to maintain her motherhood, marriage, and beast-hood all at once.

Nightbitch is a book about dissatisfaction with life, sacrificing oneself for love, the trials of motherhood, the complexities of marriage, and the freedom that comes with transforming into a wild-ass dog. This book was brilliant. Though the subject matter is very literal, the overall metaphor of becoming a dog is an astoundingly accurate and profound metaphor for the changes that take place throughout a woman's life.

The messages in Nightbitch are powerful, feminist, comforting, and funny as hell. This book focuses on the changes, expectations, and responsibilities forced onto a woman's shoulders as she becomes a mother, but it's also about finding yourself, following your heart, and finding your purpose in life. My only criticism for this book is the animal cruelty. While I was reading, I understood why the author felt it was necessary to include it, but I read an interview where she said herself that it's an aspect of the story that she somewhat regrets. I am very sensitive to animal cruelty, so those parts of the book were not my favorite. 

Honestly, I would love to recommend this to any woman who is already a mother, or who is hoping/planning to become one in the future, but I know this book wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. So instead, I will recommend this one to any horror lovers because Nightbitch is extremely unique and though it's about turning into a dog, the story itself is a very human story and I really, really loved it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts