Monday, October 24, 2022

Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

-Trigger Warnings- sexual assault, incest, infanticide 

Mexican Gothic by 
Silvia Moreno-Garcia
⭐⭐⭐
In Mexican Gothic, we first meet our socialite main character Noemi when her father receives letters in the mail from her cousin, claiming that her new husband is poisoning her, and she needs help. Noemi is sent to the estate of which her cousin's new family owns, determined to get to the truth of the situation. Noemi's journey leads her to unveil something much more sinister than she ever could have imagined upon her arrival at the estate.

My opinion might be on the more unpopular side because so many people just absolutely loved this book! It just didn't do it for me, honestly. I loved Noemi and how strong of a female lead she is, as well as her determination throughout the story, but all the characters seemed so one dimensional. They all felt more like a means to an end than real characters who have roles in the narrative.  The pacing of the book was a little off to me as well. It starts rather slowly and then by the middle of the story, everything is revealed to you. And the ending - it was rushed and fell very flat for me. 

The actual story that is at the heart of this book is super unique and creepy, but it just wasn't enough to carry the rest of the book, in my opinion. I gave Mexican Gothic three stars because I genuinely like how twisted Silvia Moreno-Garcia's mind is, and I'm very interested in reading her other works. Overall, Mexican Gothic was neither terrible nor amazing, it was honestly just decent. I wish it had left more of a mark but sometimes books just don't work for me! I definitely don't regret reading it though, so that's a good thing! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts