Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Yinka, Where Is Your Huzband? by Lizzie Damilola Blackburn

Yinka, Where Is Your Huzband?
by Lizzie Damilola Blackburn
⭐⭐
Yinka is a British Nigerian, work oriented, strong, independent woman who has yet to find a man with whom she can marry, and her family of Aunties make sure to remind her of this fact pretty regularly. Yinka is successful in every single way, and yet to her family, she is a failure for not yet having married or had children. When Yinka loses her job and begins to plan her cousin's wedding, she promises herself that she will find a date by the big day - not because she wants one, but just to prove to her Aunties that she can. 

YWIYH was such a fun and enjoyable read, even though I realize rating it 2 stars says differently, but I did genuinely enjoy my time with Yinka! This story is goofy, heartwarming, and I think so many people can resonate with Yinka and her story, as well as the relationships she has with her friends and family. 

Where this story falls short for me is the character development and the ending. Firstly, there were so many wonderful and diverse female characters in this book, I just wish we could have gotten to know them on a deeper level. We become intimately familiar with only two characters in this story, outside of our main character Yinka. Secondly, about 25% into the book, I predicted the ending. And I know! It's a romance baby, not a mystery! But it really would have been nice for a twist ending, perhaps one that doesn't tie everything up in a pretty little ribbon. I don't always mind predicting the ending either, but in this case, it was so blaringly obvious that it made the ending less satisfying. 

Despite my personal critiques, this story was fun, unique, diverse, goofy, and just plain enjoyable. It is light hearted, which at the time I met Yinka, I desperately needed. I definitely recommend this for all of my Romance lovers - I have a feeling you would just adore this story! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts