Wednesday, September 21, 2022

The Chain by Adrian McKinty

The Chain by Adrian McKinty
⭐⭐⭐
The Chain by Adrian McKinty hooked me in from the very beginning. With a premise full of potential, this was a thriller that I was really looking forward to! 

On what should be a perfectly normal weekday, Rachel Klein's daughter Kylie doesn't make it to school. As Rachel is on her way to a potentially devastating doctor's appointment with her Oncologist, she receives an anonymous phone call. Kylie has been kidnapped and unless Rachel abducts another child, both she and her daughter will be killed - Rachel has no choice but to continue The Chain. 

This story had so much potential, however, I can only give it three stars. I was totally invested in the story for the first part of the book. I resonated with Rachel's devotion to her child and her willingness to do whatever it takes to secure her safety. It felt real and like this could possibly take place in our society today, but as the second part of this story begins, the plot becomes nonsensical and unrealistic, sometimes bordering on predictable as well. It starts with a bang and maintains that intensity for the entirety of the novel though, which is definitely a plus in my opinion. 

I liked The Chain just fine, but the ending disappointed me very much. It felt like two different stories that were stapled together. If this premise interests you, I see nothing wrong with picking this book up, but don't get your hopes up - this one won't be the "Next Best Thriller," but it was enjoyable nonetheless! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts