Monday, September 19, 2022

Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado

 *TRIGGER WARNINGS* sexual assault, gore, death, themes of violence, child abuse, substance abuse

Her Body and Other Parties
by Carmen Maria Machado 
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Her Body and Other Parties is one of the best collections of short stories that I've ever read. Generally speaking, I'm not the biggest fan of short stories, but every so often I feel the urge to read a collection like this. To say that I enjoyed this book would be a massive understatement!

Her Body is every surrealist, horror obsessed feminist's fever dream. These stories bleed divine femme energy in the most amazing way, though there are definitely many trigger warnings that go alone with this book. 

At times cathartic, healing, powerful, disturbing, empowering, violent, subtle, loud, magical, unapologetic, and philosophical - these stories are so unique and refreshing. Not to mention the prose!! The prose in these pages was astounding and breathtaking, I annotated this book to death. 

Her Body and Other Parties is very dark and intense. It's not at all for the faint of heart. If you like fem lit, horror, or disturbing surrealism, this comes highly recommended from me! I've never read anything quite like this before and I loved every second of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts