Sunday, December 18, 2022

The Memory Police by Yoko Ogawa

The Memory Police by Yoko Ogawa
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
The Memory Police is a dystopian novel following the story of an unnamed author living on an unnamed island. One by one, things disappear on the island, though no one knows why. As objects such as perfume, birds, books, and hats disappear, the memory of these objects also recedes. Some civilians retain their memories, however, and are hunted by the Memory Police, a government organization determined to rid the island of these “dangerous” individuals. 

I loved this book from start to finish. Some of my favorite books don’t have specific plots and are more character studies, which is something I also really liked about The Memory Police. I love being introduced to a character in the middle of a story already in the process of taking place. For this book in particular, we begin the story at a time where the disappearances and the Memory Police are very familiar to our narrator. 

The relationships in this book are realistic and one of the strongest/most important aspects of the story. The Memory Police emphasizes the importance of human connection, our relationship to the past, memories, and the strength we gain from those we love. The thread to which our souls are tied to our memories is so fragile, yet so detrimental to our personhood. 

I read that Yoko Ogawa was inspired by Anne Frank’s diary and the story definitely reflects Nazi Germany and the S.S. Guards, but I was really impressed by the author’s ability to build a unique world for the Memory Police to operate in. 

Overall, I really loved this book. Metaphors live and breathe in The Memory Police and the story affected me on a deep, emotional level. The Memory Police is filled to the brim with loss, love, friendship, and pain, so I only recommend this if you are in the mood for a sadder story with a lot of heart. It’s definitely one of my favorite reads of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts