Tuesday, November 29, 2022

The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager

The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager
⭐⭐
Emma Davis seems to have her life together. She has a promising career as a painter, and she's considered an up-and-coming artist in the NYC art scene. No one but Emma knows that beneath each of her paintings are hidden three missing teenage girls. Having been the last person to see them alive, Emma is haunted by her past and these three girls, with whom she spent a summer vacation at Camp Nightingale. On the 15th anniversary of the incident, the camp is reopening, and Emma gets the opportunity to return as a camp counselor. Determined to solve the mystery of her missing friends, Emma must face the guilt and the ghosts that have followed her all these years. 

I really enjoy Riley Sager's books, but this one just didn't work for me! I felt like it was a hodgepodge of different thriller elements thrown together, and unfortunately, that approach didn't put a cohesive story together. Every bit of angst and tension was put onto the page, even when it didn't fit the narrative or mesh with the characterization/logic of the story.

I would've enjoyed more of an investigation on Emma's part, more history, and more realistic relationships and characters. The flashbacks were the most interesting parts of the book, so I wish they had been lengthier with more depth. I feel like 300-400 pages is just too short for a fully realized, immersive thriller with decent characterization and a well thought out ending (although those are thoughts for another time lol). 

The ending also left me wanting more as well! The first twist was very predictable for me, though the second twist definitely surprised me. Even so, I didn't really enjoy the ending. I felt like it was a little forced. 

Overall, this book was a bunch of pointless chaos and the ending felt like it was supposed to be a tidy lil' bow, but I just really wanted more. The Last Time I Lied just wasn't a book for me! And that's okay! Not all books can be winners. Lots of people loved this one, though, so if you're interested in the synopsis, check it out and give it a chance! It just didn't leave much of an impression on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts