Monday, October 31, 2022

The Paris Apartment by Lucy Foley

The Paris Apartment 
by Lucy Foley
⭐⭐
The Paris Apartment introduces us to Jess, a twenty-eight-year-old bartender who is on the run from her past, as she reaches out to her brother, Ben, a journalist, for help. She travels to Paris to stay with Ben in his somewhat new apartment until she can get back on her feet. When Jess arrives to find her brother missing and his cat covered in what looks like blood, her journey to finding her brother begins. Looking for help from Ben's neighbors, Jess realizes that the other tenants in the Paris apartment aren't who they seem to be, but can she trust them?

I don't want to say it, but I like to be fully transparent - this is in the top five worst books I've read this year. So many people loved it! I wanted to love it, too!! I really did!!! But no matter who hard I tried, I just couldn't do it. 

I'm keeping my criticisms brief because this is all personal opinion and I'm not going to condemn a book just because I didn't like it. Firstly, every character, with the exception of Jess, was unlikeable and there was no depth to any of them! They were all one dimensional! Every chapter is from a different person's perspective, but they all read like the same character. Sophie and Jess were the most unique characters, but everyone else had the exact same voice. It was also very predictable for me (except for the very end, but even then, I wasn't blown away). 

Aside from the ending, there was nothing really redeeming about this story for me. I wanted to like this, I really did, but I came extremely close to DNFing it. Ultimately, I stuck with it until the end, but unfortunately, it just wasn't my cup of tea. However! As I always say - different strokes for different folks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts