Monday, September 19, 2022

White Oleander by Janet Fitch

White Oleander by Janet Fitch
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I have had this book for well over ten years and every time I tried to pick it up, I put it back down. It has been a book that I have longed to read but it never felt like the right time. I am so grateful that I waited. If I had read White Oleander at any time prior to this year, I don't think I would have understood it as deeply as I do now as a 26 year old woman. I believe everyone could read, enjoy, and carry this book in their heart, but I think it is especially important for every woman to experience Astrid's story. 

White Oleander follows the journey of Astrid before, during, and after her Mother Ingrid is sent to prison for committing murder. Being only 12 years old at the time of her mother's incarceration, Astrid is sent into the foster care system. 

This is a story that takes place over several years and in many different settings. We also meet a plethora of characters, each coming from polar opposite worlds and experiences. There are so many aspects to this book and I really don't know where to begin with my thoughts. That's how you know it's a favorite of mine. I loved this book. From the very first page, I knew this was going to be a forever favorite.

Not only is this a difficult coming of age story centered on surviving trauma, but it is also about how each and every person we encounter in life, whether a positive or negative influence, leaves a mark on us. We are covered in the bruises and scars from all the hands that have ever touched us. This is a story of finding mothers in strangers, and sometimes, even in ourselves. 

White Oleander is pain, hope, love, friendship, betrayal, and forgiveness all combined to create a mesmerizing and heartbreaking tale of survival. This entire book reads like one long poem and there were so many tabs and annotations by the end. If I could rate this more than 5 stars, I would. This comes extremely, passionately, and highly recommended by me! Please keep in mind that White Oleander contains many triggering topics, such as abuse, pedophilia, grooming, substance abuse, etc. so be prepared beforehand if you'd like to read this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts