Monday, September 19, 2022

Watch Over Me by Nina LaCour

Watch Over Me by Nina LaCour  
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Watch Over Me by Nina Lacour is a must read for everyone! It is simple, yet profound and beautiful in all of its sorrow, joy, and pain. 

In this story we meet eighteen year old Mila, who has recently aged out of the foster care system. She has no friends or family - only her dark past littered with trauma to keep her company. She finds a job at a farm run by Julia and Terry, two foster parents who have created a home for hurt, lost, and “unwanted” children who have not yet found their forever homes. Mila is hired as a teacher and a farmhand, but the farm is not all it seems at first glance. There are ghosts haunting the farm, just as the past haunts many of those who find themselves there. 

I found myself resonating with Mila a lot more than I thought I would initially. The best way I can describe this novel would be to say: it speaks volumes in whispers. It is a story of trauma, of healing, of love, of belonging, of survival. It is a lesson in healing your inner child - finding joy in pain.

Just like the farm, this story is haunting. It finds its way into you. As a trauma survivor myself, I feel that this story should become mandatory reading. I took so much away from Mila’s story. Nina Lacour is a brilliant and imaginative writer. I will definitely be picking up more of her work to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts