Friday, September 23, 2022

The Summoning by J.P. Smith

The Summoning
by J.P. Smith
Ah, The Summoning... I'll try my best with this review, but I make no promises. Generally, I always try to keep reviews positive, even if I disliked a book. This book just made me angry, though.

In the beginning of The Summoning, we meet Kit, a struggling actress who lost her husband during the 9/11 terrorist attacks. When her daughter falls into a coma, Kit becomes desperate to make money to pay for the cost of keeping her daughter alive. Having no choice, she decides to become a false medium - she can make some easy cash whilst helping others get through their grief. One day, however, Kit starts to believe that she really is having visions and hearing the voices of spirits.

I hated it. I really can't find a single good thing about it. Firstly, this is NOT a ghost story, nor is it anything that even resembles horror or suspense. The characters are all one dimensional with zero growth or development whatsoever. The twist in the story was only there for shock value, because otherwise, it made literally no sense. The ending was like a slap in the face. 

Some people enjoyed this book but I don't think we read the same thing. I would absolutely never recommend this to anyone. It was, hands down, the worst book I've read so far this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts