Monday, September 19, 2022

The Ghost Tree by Christina Henry

The Ghost Tree by Christina Henry
⭐⭐
The Ghost Tree follows Lauren diMucci, a fourteen year old girl living in the small town of Smith's Hollow, as she struggles to maintain her friendships, survive her tumultuous relationship with her mother, and solve the gruesome murders of two teenage runaway girls. Oh! And her hormones - aren't they the worst?

This book is a small town horror story and it was a really fun, easy read. It was pretty fast paced and the small town vibes added to the overall suspense of Lauren's journey. I also loved the setting of the 1980s and all of the references to the decade's culture. 

The horror aspects were fun and gory - VERY gory actually. I rated this book 2 stars for a few reasons, though. There are many characters but they are somewhat generic and there's no real character development outside of Lauren and her mother. There is also magic and witches in this story but it just wasn't enough! It's referenced all throughout the book and though it plays somewhat of a role in the lore of the town, it just wasn't magical or witchy enough in my opinion. I mean, if you're going to go witchy with it, go full force! Smother me in cauldrons, bunny feet, and floating feathers please! 

There are positive aspects of this story too, though! The tension and suspense is solid throughout the book, and Lauren's relationships with the people around her are multidimensional and realistic. I feel like this should be marketed as a YA book, despite the more mature themes. It kind of toes the line in that regard but I think this would be a great introduction to horror for teenagers. 

I really enjoyed the ideas in this book, but I feel like generally, everything could have been pushed a bit further. The ending is also rushed and not entirely satisfying in my opinion. With all of that said, however, if ever there was a sequel, I would be totally down to read it. Overall, this was a fun read and I enjoyed my time in Smith's Hollow, even if I didn't give the book the highest rating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts